5-8 years, 8+ years
1 - 30
Basketballs , Cones , Flat markers
- On a hard, flat surface set-up six cones in a row (can increase or decrease this depending on the number of children), 10 metres in front of each cone place a marker and then another marker 10 metres in front.
- Children stand behind cones, have at least two children behind each cone.
The child at the front of each line holds the basketball.
Children are instructed to:
- Run to first marker and bounce and catch 5 times and then run to second marker and move ball around body 3 times, then run back and give ball to next child to have a go
- Bounce and catch ball all the way to the last marker and then run back
- Dribble the ball to the first marker and then run to second marker and move ball around head
- In pairs throw ball to each other (1m) away as you move towards the end marker and then run back
- In pairs bounce ball to each other as you move towards the end marker and then run back
- To avoid too much waiting in line, if you have enough balls, next child can go once child in front of them reaches first marker
- Can make this into a relay race
- If you have access to a basketball goal you can have this at the end of the markers for the children to have a shot at
- Watch the ball
- Soft fingers, big hands
- Thumbs together and up (butterfly hands) for balls above waist and fingers pointing down (wriggly worms) for balls below waist
- Reach out for the ball and catch with two hands
- Push the ball down when dribbling
- Keep the ball in front and to the side