- Set up different jumping obstacles such as:
- Different sized hurdles
- Line of hoops
- Agility ladder
- Targets stuck on a wall
Children follow coach around oval and surrounds. Start jumping off a low height, a small wall would be great and teaching children how to land. Emphasise landing ‘like you are riding a motorbike’ – see teaching cues below.
Then try different jumping activities such as:
- jump over a low hurdle
- jump through the ladder
- jump from hoop to hoop
- do 10 star jumps
- jump as high as you can
- mark heights or put targets on a wall with chalk to see if they can jump to the star or the rainbow or the soccer ball.
- if there is a long jump pit have a go at jumping in this
Ask children questions as you do each jumping activity:
- What makes you go higher?
- What makes you go further?
- Run this activity as a Follow the Leader around the environment trying different types of jumping
- Make activity into a jumping obstacle course
- Finish with a sack race
- Land like you are riding a motorbike – arms forward, ankles, knees and hips bent, feet apart
- Land as quiet as a mouse
- Swing & Spring
- Reach for a star and bring it down again