- Mark out a start line with two cones
- Children begin by lining up on start line
- Coach stands 20m in front of children
All children stand between two cones on the start line. If the coach shouts out ‘2 jumps’ they take 2 jumps towards the coach.
If you shout ‘1 step’ they do this.
Coach varies number of steps and jumps and the type of locomotion (jump, step, hop, skip, run, march, gallop etc.).
When coach shouts ’back’ everyone runs back to the start and coach tries to tag the children.
If tagged children need to do a star jump.
- Change the distance the children start from the coach
- Focus on only one type of locomotion in each game e.g. jumping only
- Let a child be the caller
- Land like you are riding a motorbike – arms forward, ankles, knees and hips bent, feet apart
- Land as quiet as a mouse
- Swing & Spring
- Reach for a star and bring it down again
- Step-hop, step-hop, step-hop
- Step forward and hop up
- Look ahead
- Keep body facing forward
- Quiet landings (bend ankles, knees and hips)
- Bend your leg to push off
- Head up and eyes forward (look towards where you are hopping)
- Swing & spring