- Mark out the designated area with cones
- All children start side-by-side across one end of the space
- Choose an ‘Octopus’ to stand in middle of area, facing children
Children chant the following as a group; “Octopus, Octopus, can we cross your deep blue sea?”.
The Octopus then chooses a group to cross safely to other side, for example “only if you are wearing green”.
After the children wearing green have crossed, a coach shouts ‘GO!’, and the others try cross without being tagged by Octopus.
If the Octopus tags a player, they stand still where they landed in space and become seaweed who can reach to tag runners.
Continue until all children have been tagged.
- Use a larger area
- Can use this as a fun activity to practice skills such as dribbling (soccer and basketball)
- Change the mode of locomotion to cross the sea e.g. skipping, hopping, jumping, galloping
- Have the seaweed stand on one leg
- Keep head up and eyes looking forward
- Keep arms bent at elbow and use ‘hip-to-lip’ action with hands
- Ensure the Octopi are given time to choose a group and say to rest of class in a loud voice
- Give those who struggle with choosing 2 or 3 options to choose from, for example
- if you have brown hair,
- if you have a pet,
- if your name starts with ‘P’