3-5 years, 5-8 years, 8+ years
2 - 20
Cones , Balls , Volleyball nets (optional)
Download PDF (103.97 KB)
- Set up a line of cones side-by-side about 1 metre apart.
- Set up another line of cones facing the others about 5 meters away.
- Use volleyball net as a divider between the two lines (optional).
- Before starting demonstrate how to throw and catch.
- Children stand opposite their partner.
- One partner throws a tennis ball or other ball over the net to the other.
- Catchers may move their cone back 1 foot if they catch the ball without a drop.
Ask children questions:
- What makes the ball go higher?
- What makes the ball go further?
- Use a variety of balls
- Throw with crow-hop
- One partner rolls the ball, other partner fields and throws back
- Ready: stand side-on to target like a surfer
- Aim: make a muscle man (throwing arm bent up above shoulder), point non-throwing arm at target
- Fire: step forward with opposite foot and throw
- Watch the ball
- Soft fingers, big hands
- Thumbs together and up (butterfly hands) for balls above waist and fingers pointing down (wriggly worms) for balls below waist
- Reach out for the ball and catch with two hands