A KIDDO favourite! Children explore locomotor skills by driving around in cars (hoops) on 'different roads'. Develops the locomotor skills of jump, run, skip and hop - good for groups of all sizes.
Start in a designated area. Each child starts standing in a hoop in the area. The hoop is the child's car and each child stands inside the hoop holding it up with their hands.
Tip: You don't have to use hoops - you can use paper plates (steering wheels), or just allow the children to use their imaginations!
How to play
- Ask the children to put their seatbelts on and start their engines (running on the spot), and then start driving around, following the educator. You can have them reverse out of their driveway (walk backwards), before beginning to incorporate some of the commands listed below
- The educator then calls out instructions and demonstrates the actions. Ideas include;
- School zone: walk
- On the freeway: running around fast
- Red light: freeze
- Bumpy road: jump around
- Flat tyre: hop
- Reversing: walk backwards
- Stuck in the mud: run on the spot
- Twisty road: lean to one side as running around
- Out of petrol: children drop their hoop and jump in and out of it to refuel
- After children are familiar with the above instructions you can add in some new ones. Try;
- Road trip: follow the educator to a new destination, you can go through a playground and down a slide or use any obstacles in your environment
- Windscreen wipers: drop hoop the and move hands in the windscreen wiper action
- Turn the radio on: drop hoop the and dance
- Spinning a doughnut: try and spin the hula hoop around your waist
- Round-a-bout: run around a tree or obstacle
- Over the mountain: lift the hoop overhead
Make it easier
- Start with just a few simple instructions e.g., green light, red light, reversing
- Change the instructions to match the skill you are focusing on
Make it harder
- Use a larger area
- Add in more complex instructions
Age: Kindergarten / Pre-school, Foundation, Year 1, Year 2
Participants: 1 +
Equipment: Cones (optional), Hoops
Duration: 10 minutes
Explore these skills for teaching tips
Physical literacy tips
- Let children create new instructions
- Let a child lead the road trip
- If a child is hesitant or having trouble staying engaged, become a tow truck and wheel them to the mechanic to get 'fixed'
- Be creative! Create your own commands!